Macaroni and Cheese has always been a staple in our house, since having my first son, Ethan. He had some allergies that he eventually outgrew. Even when he had to deal with a long list of allergies, he loved the dairy free soy free gluten free mac and cheese that I could only find in one frozen serving (Amy’s frozen Rice macaroni and cheeze) . Then we found out that our second son, Shawn, is allergic to a long list of things including wheat, soy, and dairy as well. At first, I thought, there goes the favorite food, we can’t possibly afford to buy that all the time! However, after some trial and error, I’ve finally figured out a way to make the GF, DF, SF version of mac and cheese that uses the same brand of “cheeze” that the frozen Amy’s mac and cheeze uses. It’s called Daiya dairy free soy free cheeze. I am including pictures below.
GF, DF, SF Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients needed: 16 oz. Gluten free Tinkyada brand rice elbow noodles, 8 oz. Daiya cheddar style shreds (DF/SF), 4 T. Earth Balance natural buttery spread(DF/SF/GF), 4 T. LouAna Coconut Oil, and 2/3 c. Silk Coconut milk (DF/SF). Optional add ins: salt, garlic, 1lb. gd. turkey or gd. beef and 1/2 green pepper.
1) Cook rice noodles using package directions.
2) In separate small saucepan, melt 2 T. Earth Balance butter and 2 T. of coconut oil on low to med-low heat. After melted, add in 1 pkg. Daiya cheddar style shreds (8 oz). Melt together and stir frequently. Mixture will become stringy. Keep stirring on low heat and add in 1/3 c. coconut milk. Whisk mixture together until smooth as possible.
3) Mix “cheese” mixture in with the rice noodles when both are done and after draining water from the noodles. Again the cheesy mixture will become stringy. This is when you add in 1/3 c. coconut milk, 1-2T. earth balance butter, 1-2T. coconut oil to smooth it out again.
4) After the mac and cheese smooths out it will not be as yellow colored as the boxed mac and cheese that you may be used to. This is a good thing! Don’t worry! It will still taste cheesy!
5) If you choose to add in the 1 lb. gd. turkey or gd. beef and 1/2 green pepper, do that after browning and dicing. Salt to taste, add garlic or garlic salt as desired!
Okay guys, anybody out there who is skeptical….listen up!
My 5 yr. old, Ethan, has turned into the pickiest eater on the planet in the last year or two. He outgrew his allergies and these recipes are mostly for his younger brother who has never had the “Kraft” version and has nothing to compare it to. Since we have mandated that mommy will not be cooking 3 different meals each night, dinner has been a fight frequently. Ethan told me the other night when I made this: “Mommy, this is the best mac and cheese ever! It’s better even than the one with hot dogs!” Then he came and gave me a hug! You can’t get much better than that with 5 yr. old boy compliments!
Enjoy, and let me know how your meal goes!